This install guide will walk you through the steps required to run the NetFoundry VM in your VCN.
You could place the VM in a private subnet or public subnet, and private subnet is typical. The private subnet is best if your Edge Router will merely host a Service that is reachable inside the VCN. The public subnet is only necessary if your Edge Router will listen for Endpoints or listen for other Edge Routers or both. For most networks, a self-hosted Edge Router will only host Services and so does not need to be reachable in a public subnet.
Video guide for provisioning customer ERs in Oracle Cloud:
1. You have an active OCI account/compartment with billing enabled.
2. You have an active VCN with Networking configured.
3. You have created PKI keys for SSH access to your Instances. NOTE: Needed for launch.
3. You have a working account in the NetFoundry console and have the ability to manage/create endpoints and edge routers.
Launching the Instance
Launching a NetFoundry VM in your OCI VCN is straightforward.
- In the NetFoundry console, create an Edge Router that is not "hosted". This means your Edge Router is self-hosted in your Oracle Cloud account instead of NetFoundry's datacenter. Click the "registration key" button to copy it to your clipboard.
- In the desired OCI region, select the Marketplace and search for Netfoundry.
- In the upper right corner, select the default software level and desired compartment then hit Launch Instance.
- Select the desired Availability Domain and Instance Shape. A VM.Standard.E3.Flex with 1 OCPU and 2 GB of memory is fine for simple testing.
- In the Networking section, select the desired VCN. This should be a VCN which is hosting applications/VM's that you would like to access via NetFoundry Network.
- Next select the desired Subnet. In most cases, this will be a Private Subnet.
- Select Assign a public IPV4 address.
- Select/Create your Public SSH key to use with SSH client (Putty, Moba etc.)
- Next, select "Show Advanced Options" and select Paste Cloud-init script. In the script field enter this script, substituting the registration key from your clipboard or re-copy from step 1.
- Hit Create
- In the NetFoundry console, confirm the Edge Router is REGISTERED within ten minutes.
- Now you may create a Service and select this Edge Router to host it.
Advanced Registration Parameters
In the above example we used the most simple form of the router-registration command. Know more about the registration command and the parameters available for special cases such as configuring transit link listeners in How to Register the Edge Router VM.