This article applies to NetFoundry network Products version 7 or higher. Refer to Finding Your Network Version for detailed information on determining your Network Version.
Role attributes are represented in the web console as a #hashtags and appear on three types of resources:
- Edge Routers
Service authorizations and router configurations are created by matching attributes on resources and policies. A policy may also @mention a particular resource by name. There are three types of policies:
authorize Endpoints to Services
- Edge Router Policies
configure Endpoints to Edge Routers
- Service Edge Router Policies
configure Edge Routers to Endpoint-hosted Services
- Endpoints match AppWANs to authorize the Endpoint to dial the Services in the AppWAN.
- Endpoints match Edge Router Policies to configure the Edge Routers that Endpoint will use to dial Services. You could add #defaultRouters to all Endpoints, Edge Routers, and Edge Router Policies if you do not have a need to configure routes.
- Edge Routers match Edge Router Policies to become available to Endpoints for dialing Services.
- Endpoint-hosted services only: Edge Routers match Services to determine by which Edge Routers a hosted Service is dialed by Endpoints.
- Services match AppWANs to make the Service available to Endpoints that match the same AppWAN.
- Endpoint-hosted services only: Service field edgeRouterAttributes matches Edge Routers to configure them for this Service. This determines by which Edge Routers a hosted Service is dialed by Endpoints.
Hosted vs Terminated
A Service is either hosted or terminated. Service Router Policies are only necessary for hosted Services. A server described by a hosted Service is inside the NetFoundry network, and a server described by a terminated Service is outside the NetFoundry network.
- Hosted: An Endpoint that is an SDK app with a built-in server may host a Service.
- Terminated: A server that is accessed at a public IP address by an Edge Router is a terminated Service. The Edge Router terminates the Service on the edge of the NetFoundry network.